News & Press Releases
Nova Scotia Power to begin smart meter upgrades in your community July 27
- Published: Monday, 13 July 2020 11:03
Starting July 27, Nova Scotia Power’s authorized contractor, Tribus Services, will be in your community upgrading residential and business customers to smart meters.
The information below explains the upgrading process:
- Nova Scotia Power will conduct smart meter upgrades in your community. Information about the upgrades will be sent in advance to all customers.
- Installing smart meters is a key step in modernizing Nova Scotia’s electricity grid. When smart meter technology is turned on in 2021, the technology will provide customers with more convenience, reliability and control. Benefits include:
- Access to daily information and notification on energy usage will help customers make informed decisions and better manage electricity costs
- Connecting or disconnecting electricity will be easier and faster without the need for an on-site appointment
- Smart meters will notify Nova Scotia Power when the power goes out, helping us respond more quickly in the event of an outage.
- In most cases, meters are located outside of the home, so customers don’t need to be present when the work is done (the upgrade will occur sometime between 8 am and dusk, Monday to Friday).
- The upgrading process takes about 15 minutes to complete and customers should only experience a momentary loss of power.
- Learn more about the process by watching this video which explains what customers can expect when they are upgraded to a smart meter.
- Need more information?
Safety protocols, which follow the guidelines established by the Nova Scotia Chief Medical Officer of Health, will be followed. This includes:
- Wearing personal protective equipment including cloth masks and gloves
- Wiping surfaces before and after their work with disinfectant
- Maintaining physical distancing and keeping any interaction with customers as brief as possible.
If you have any questions about the process, please contact the Nova Scotia Power Customer Care Centre, Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. at . (email), 1-800-428-6230(phone), 902-428-6108 (Fax) or 1-800-565-6051 (TTY/Hearing impaired)