News & Press Releases
Director of Economic Development
- Published: Wednesday, 14 April 2021 14:22
The Municipality is seeking an experienced municipal or business leader with exceptional leadership, administration, and financial skills to lead our Community and Economic Development Department. While the Municipality has a population of approximately 4,400, it provides services to 7,000 people, including two adjacent towns. The successful candidate will understand the need to maximize opportunities and efficiency that encourages business investment and fosters community and economic development.
Municipality of the District of Shelburne, located on Nova Scotia’s beautiful South Shore, is home to the world’s best lobster and seafood, unspoiled white sand beaches, quality educational facilities which attract numerous international students each year, year-round family oriented recreational facilities and programs, Black Loyalist Heritage Centre, one of the first rural municipalities to provide Fibre-to-the-Home broadband to over 95% of business and residents, a new collaborative health care clinic, and a new multi-government administration building in the design phase. Shelburne is only one hour from Yarmouth and Bridgewater and two hours from Halifax.
The Municipality of the District of Shelburne is an equal opportunity employer. The preferred candidate must have a completed post-secondary education in economic development or equivalent, possessing a strong understanding of municipal operations and oversight, plus five to seven years of related experience. Competitive wages, pension, and benefits package available.
View the job description .
The competition will remain open until successfully filled.
The Municipality of Shelburne is committed to the principles of the Accessibility Act. As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment, and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact .
2021/2022 Property Tax Bills have been mailed
- Published: Wednesday, 14 April 2021 11:20
The Property Tax Bills for 2021/2022 have been mailed.
Payments can be:
- Mailed to 136 Hammond Street PO Box 280, Shelburne NS B0T 1W0
- Paid through online banking
- Visit your local bank
- Pay by credit card through Paymentus
- In person Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Placed in the drop box on the side of the municipal building
Instructions for payment can be found here.
Dr. Robert Strang Community Hero Award
- Published: Monday, 12 April 2021 09:16
Nominations are now being accepted for the Dr. Robert Strang Community Hero Award.
This Award recognizes Nova Scotians who have inspired others, raised spirits or helped people cope during the pandemic.
Award winners will be selected based on the positive impact their contributions have had on the broader community. Those submitting an application will be asked to describe in less than 300 words how the nominee impacted others in a positive way.
Deadline to apply is April 19, 2021.
Nominate your hero here.
Municipality's Phase Two Internet Project Complete!
- Published: Tuesday, 06 April 2021 08:59
Working from home is easy when you #LOVEwhereyoulive!
We are very pleased to advise that Phase 2 of the our internet project is now complete, providing high speed (fibre to the home) internet access to 3,250 pemises in the Municipality - this leaves only 46 premises in the Canada Hill area to be completed by the end of 2021.
We believe we are the first rural municipality in Nova Scotia to provide access to the best internet to almost 100% of our residents and businesses who have access to power. Access to a sustainable high speed internet connection is essential to the sustainablity and growth of our communities, making Shelburne a great place to live, work and thrive!
To find out information on Bell Canada’s current internet and bundle rates please go to www.bellcanada.ca.
Shelburne County Healthcare Updates - March 30, 2021
- Published: Tuesday, 30 March 2021 11:31
Nova Scotia Health Authorty has provided the following update of recent activities relating to physician recruitiment in Shelburne County:
• Dr. Adeleke Ifesanya joined the Shelburne Family Practice team in March. He recently completed a Practice Ready Assessment. As part of the recruitment process, the Municipality of Shelburne hosted Dr. Adeleke and his family for a weekend in January, which included accommodations, meals and tours of the Roseway Hospital, Shelburne Collaborative Health centre and the local area.
• Recruitment work is also underway on another Practice Ready Assessment physician candidate for the area later this year.
• Ongoing recruitment efforts include working through the immigration process for an Emergency Department physician who will provide service at a number of locations in Western Zone, including Roseway Hospital.
• COVID-19 restrictions mean we have had to try new and creative ways to introduce potential new doctors, nurse practitioners and other health providers to the Shelburne area. Recruitment site visits have included both in-person and virtual tours (over the internet) of Roseway Hospital and Shelburne Collaborative Family Practice Clinic over the past few months for physicians and nurse practitioners.
• This past fall, a group of Family Medicine Residents attended a “clinic crawl” which allowed the group to see the local health centre and experience Shelburne hospitality. The Municipality of Shelburne helped showcase the area, and arranged a dinner at the yacht club, which was also attended by a number of community partners.
• A new physician joined the Shelburne Family Practice in the fall to provide short-term coverage, but with the hope the physician may choose to continue to provide service for a longer period of time. The physician’s service has been very much appreciated by the Family Practice team and their patients.
• Dr. Trudy MacFarlane communicated with her patients that she is leaving – her last day was February 12. Many of her priority patients were transferred to another provider. Thank you Dr. MacFarlane for your service to your patients and the community.
We are pleased to welcome Dr. Adeleke to the Shelburne Family Practice Team and are excited about the health initiatives underway that will assist in improving health care services for the County!
Provincial Volunteer Nomination 2021
- Published: Wednesday, 24 March 2021 10:33
The Municipality of Shelburne has selected Vanessa Hartley as this year’s Representative Volunteer for the 2021 Provincial Volunteer Awards.
Vanessa has always been community minded and has worked towards positive change for her community. On June 7, 2020, Vanessa helped organize the Black Lives Matter March forUnity in Shelburne and was the event emcee. The impact of that day helpedVanessa find her voice and catapulted her activism efforts. She got involvedwith anything she could to take action against racism, raise awareness andcontribute to positive change.
Vanessa is the Chair for SEED (South End Environmental Injustice Society),is a member on several boards including the Black Loyalist Heritage Society,the Shelburne County Youth Health and Support Association Board (OurHouse), the Community Stakeholder Board (NS Health Authority), the NovaScotia Youth Leaders group and African Nova Scotian Affairs. As Vanessa’sinvolvement with community groups grew, so did her efforts to make apositive impact. She volunteered for the Association of Black Social Workers(ABSW) COVID response team, utilizing grant funds, purchasing supplies,and personally delivering them to local black families. Recently, she hasbeen involved with a project to build a safe retreat space for the BIPOC and2SLGBTQ community on the South Shore located in Birchtown.
Vanessa’s extensive efforts have made her a role model in the communityand a leader among her peers, which is a testament to the impact she hashad in a relatively short time. We are proud to acknowledge you and appreciate the substantial postitive impacts you have on our local community!
Budget Meeting - March 24, 2021
- Published: Tuesday, 16 March 2021 11:21
Council of the Municipality of the District of Shelburne will be having a budget meeting March 24, 2021 in the Shelburne Courtroom, commencing at 6:00 pm.