The Municipality of the District of Shelburne offers a number of services to ensure residents have facilities to dispose of all their waste properly.
All regular waste (including bulky waste - rugs, mattresses and upholstered furniture), recycling and compost is collected on a bi-weekly schedule.
All metals and appliances are collected during a scheduled special collection once in the spring and once in the fall.
When someone deliberately dumps waste on public or private property without consent, they are dumping illegally. This practice is most common in out-of-the-way places like parks, back roads, rivers and lakes.
If You Witness Someone Dumping Illegally
Write down as much information as you can including:
- License plate number
- Description of the vehicle
- Description of the people
- Description of the items being dumped
- Time the incident happened
- Location the incident happened
- Call the By Law Enforcement Officer at (902) 875-6773.
- Provide your name, address, phone number and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court.
If You Didn't Witness the Incident
If you have a concern about illegal dumping but did not witness the incident:
- Be safe, do not remove or touch any of the items.
- Contact the By Law Enforcement Officer at (902) 875-6773
- Provide the general area or address of the illegal dump site and a brief description of the concern.
- Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern for follow-up contact.